Thursday 23 June 2016

Eroica Britannia - The Ride (Part 3)

The final phase of my blog about the Eroica Britannia ride starts with the climb upwards from Great Hucklow. Through the trees you can't see how long the climb is which is perhaps a good thing as it carries on for quite a while beyond the trees but  fortunately it is never too steep. Part way up I paused to get the photo of the gliders (and not of course due to tired legs - or was it?)

Gliders near the top of the climb from Great Hucklow
Gliders near the top of the climb from Great Hucklow
Over the top and we dropped down to Eyam. The extra weight I carry these days is no help on the climbs but, with the confidence that comes from using the same bike and brakes for over 30 years, the Peak District descents are always so much fun. The refreshment stop in Eyam was superb, as we've come to expect from Eroica, with plenty of fruit, scones, home made baking, tea, coffee and beer.

The refreshment stop in Eyam
The refreshment stop in Eyam
An interesting extra at Eyam was the gazebo seen in the picture above where two local artists were producing individual illustrative drawings of riders and bikes - sketched while you wait for just £5.00 a go - really unusual and unique memento of the ride.

Up to this point I'd been having a great social ride and other than a bit of headwind on the exposed hilltops the next part of the ride flowed by comfortably.

Then the route took us past the top of Monsal Head. The route previously had taken the riders up the climb of Monsal Head so I'd built myself up (psychologically not physically) and wondered how much of a challenge it would be having last climbed it more than 25 years ago. Now I realised that the climb itself hadn't even been included in this year's route. I paused for a moment. This is where I made my mistake.

I didn't want to miss out on the challenge so I turned right and rolled down the hill. As I rode down a group of cyclists with carbon bikes and low gears struggled upwards and doubt filled my mind.

Ready to climb Monsal Head
Ready to climb Monsal Head
I turned round in the bottom of the valley and faced the climb, pausing to take the photo shown above. Then off I went, taking things as steady as possible in my lowest 42x25 gearing and expecting the hill to get steeper near the top. Fortunately it actually eases toward the top except for the last couple of metres and with relief I was over the top and back o the route dropping down fast to Ashford.

The mistake had been over-enthusiasm and over-exerting my legs on the climb; I would pay with cramp before riding back in to Bakewell. Fortunately a brief stop at Thornbridge Hall let me stretch the muscles a bits. Yet more refreshments were available here but after a stretch I decided to plug on back towards Bakewell.

Thornbridge Hall
Thornbridge Hall

Bike ready to leave Thornbridge
Bike ready to leave Thornbridge
At the Bakewell end of the Monsal Trail riders were advised to dismount for the steep track down to the lane and I watched many skidding and sliding in their cycling shoes. Riding the previous day on my Brompton, with my friend Howard Broughton, I'd spotted and ridden down right hand side which had a tarmac surface and although steep was easier and safer to ride down than to walk in cycling shoes so I'll admit to ignoring the "Dismount" signs.

Riders walk back down from the trail
Riders walk back down from the trail
The last stretch across the show ground into the finish was lined with spectators and many young hands reaching out for high fives as the commentator announced the poet from Rochdale and I slowed right down to reach the smallest of stretched out hands - after such a great ride it would have been churlish to miss one small child.

Bike with finish in the background
All done!
The ride had been less challenging than the 55 mile route I did last year (just as well given my current lack of fitness) but it was great fun and well worth taking part. There were some real stand-out features:

  • The Peak District itself
  • The relaxed atmosphere among the riders
  • The support that riders offer to each other
  • The support from spectators
  • The tremendous refreshment stops
A grand day out!

Congratulations to Marco and his team.


No comments:

Post a Comment