Tuesday 10 April 2012

Wet, windy, why cycle?

Easter finished and like many people I've been decorating. Early starts and late finishes left me somewhat tired and I know I still smell of paint!

Being too busy to cycle for a few days normally leaves me itching to get back on the bike but it's April, it's raining and the wind is strong, cold and in my face. I didn't want to get out of bed yet alone cycle to Manchester!

Breakfast done and water-proofs on I set off for work a little later than usual. Going uphill straight from my front gate is rarely fun. Today my legs didn't want to know and my body ached. I asked myself why I do this.

Three times I passed quite close to train stations and was tempted to take the easy way out. But trains would mean noise, queues and more than likely I wouldn't get a seat. I carried on cycling.

About half way I was feeling better and didn't mind the wind and the rain was keeping me pleasantly cool. I really enjoyed the remaining seven miles and don't feel tired any more.

Cycling is the only way I know to convert knackered, inert mind and body into a happy, fresh and enthusiastic worker. Now it's time for another coffee - decaf of course, who needs caffeine?

No comments:

Post a Comment